Re: system hung

linux r wrote:
<whiney voice>
My experience is that Fedora is really out of hand.   A machine
hanging like that is really a deal breaker.  Fedora Toy 1 was boggy
enough, and now I am having all sorts of related problems with 2.  I
am in the same boat.  I guess I will start skipping distro #s and
going from 1 to 3.

One of the smartest reasons for running Linux in the first place, is
stability.  If we aren't going to have that anymore, I am going to go
back to Knoppix.Debian, or SuSE depending on my needs for a
distribution.  I know that Fedora isn't officially supported (I can
see why now), but it looks bad to be slamming out new distributions
and putting the old ones out to pasture so soon, if we aren't going to
be having some real rock solid stability.

<steps down off soapbox>

Marc

Even upgrading from RH8 and all the associated headaches were better than my short lived nightmare with Windows XP.

I had dual boot on my new computer and everytime I tried XP I had freezes and crashes. I couldn't get any work done.

I use FC1 at home and work. I stress my machine more at home and I feel I have a weird problem between IDE and SATA drives (md0) on the motherboard. I will spend the time to look at the problem with FC3 if it still exists.

I have had three/four problems with my FC1 at home since January. This I feel is quite stable. I do graphics and movie editting as on my home machine with only one little hickup. I have used my Fedora to help those Windows people when having problems.

If Windows was this stable for me, I would probably use it.

My uptime on my work machine is now at 46 days and that was a network problem that required a reboot under the administrators directions.

I am waiting for my two year old to come up with a way to lock up my home computer. As I said before, I am a happy Fedora user. I was looking at Gentoo in January but never got past the point of burning the install CD.

--
Robin Laing