Re: Where's the source files?

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 10:08:55AM -0700, Bruce Hyatt wrote:
> I'm trying to make sure I have all the modules I need for a USB
> Camera and card reader so I tried 'make menuconfig' and 'make
> xconfig.' I got the message "No target..." and realized I don't
> have the source files! I remember seeing something about them
> somewhere along the way but I can't remember where and I can't
> find anything about them on Fedora site nor at LinuxISO.org.
> Are they on the CD's?

Which distribution? For Fedora Core 2, you could install
kernel-sourcecode-2.6.8-1.521.noarch.rpm from the updates area, which you
could get using yum.

But what I really recommend (and this will be the default on FC3) is to get
the kernel-2.6.8-1.521.src.rpm *source* RPM, and modify that to have the
changes you need -- if you need changes to the main kernel. If it's an
external module you want to build, you shouldn't need the full source at all
-- the required headers are at "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build" in the kernel
package itself.

Of course, it's also very possible that the modules you want/need are
already there....

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>