Re: cyrus-imapd problems

Am Mo, den 18.10.2004 schrieb jordan@xxxxxxxxxxx um 18:10:

> I am using fedora core 2.  I was running an old version of Mandrake and when my hardware died, I decided to
> upgrade the OS as well. I was using pop on the previous release so this may be creating the problem (I am trying
> to use my old mail files... read on)
>
> I could not find an imap service in my distro, so went googling for one.  I found cyrus-imap.
>
> I installed cyrus 2.2.3-11 on my fedora system. First thing it did while installing was to tell me that cyrus user did
> not exist, so it would use root.

The user is created when installing the cyrus-imapd RPM.

> When I tried starting it, I get "error converting databases"

You did what? Your previous mail was already in the Cyrus-IMAPd Maildir
format or different?

> So I have two questions (maybe three?)
> 1) Is it bad for cyrus to run as root?

Yes.

> 2) How can I uninstall it so I can do it right?

man rpm
man yum

> 3) What is the error and how can I fix it? (I tried googling for it, but found nothing of interest.)

You have to be sure about the previous mail format.

> 4) Should I fall back and use a pop daemon? (if so, which one?)

Cyrus-IMAPd provides POP3 / POP3s support as well.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 18:48:08 up 4 days, 13:59, load average: 0.12, 0.42, 0.38