Re: Dual boot strategy

On Monday 18 October 2004 12:23 am, Jon Savage wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:49:02 -0700, Timothy Payne <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you can spare the $65 or so for a 40 GB drive I set up windows on a
> > separate drive with the Fedora drive unplugged.  That way windows thinks
> > it's the only operating system in the world.  Then I put this into my
>
> The OP wanted to dual boot core 1 w/ core 3 ;).
> --
> Bests,
> Jon

Jon/Timothy:
Yeah, but it's a nice thought. Actually, I do have a second 20 gb HD in the
box, but it is not connected currently. It has an ancient installation of
Win98SE on it as well as a 10 gb ext3 partition that I've used for
archiving/backup/scratch purposes. Part of my plan is to hook it up again to
get at the linux partition -- it was very useful. I'll probably burn some of
the data in the win partition (mainly old correspondence, Quicken stuff and
other memorbilia) to a CD, and then reclaim the old win space for linux.

The Windows installation dates back to an older system -- since then, new
mobo, new CPU, new video, DVD drive, etc. Even a new mouse. Windows doesn't
like those kinds of changes, so it would take a complete reinstall and
reconfiguration to get it up and running. Oh yeah, then there's the virus
protection, firewall, hundreds of updates to updates to fix updates drill.
And the ever popular constant rebooting. Not being into masochism, I think
I'll pass on that wonderful opportunity.

-- cmg