Re: Ghost ideas/thoughts please (update)

On Thursday 14 Oct 2004 00:25, Jeff Vian wrote:

> > > This is NOT a good plan.
> > > The copy will have the exact same partition table/geometry/labels/etc
> > > as the original.  It will likely damage the destination drive unless
> > > the destination is exactly the same as the original ( make/model/
> > > CHS/etc.)
> >
> > Good point,
> > I also should of mentioned in my original post that the new SATA drive
> > is twice the size of the current one..
> >
> > > You can create the partitons on the new drive then copy data over,
> >
> > Yes this is an option as well, and then I guess create a new MBR, I am
> > just a little nervous of doing that.
>
> Regardless of the method you use, you will likely have to redo the MBR.
> A new drive, new mapping of the partitions, etc.
> UNLESS you leave the original drive in and use it's MBR to boot.

OK, well this is what I have done with my tests, left the original drive
connected and all went quite well, in that grub was still working.
With some changes I managed to boot from the SATA drive, but found hda.x was
being used as well, some errors came up about LABEL being used more than
once, and managed to sort this out by changing the label(s) of the old
drive.. for reference to anyone here this link is very helpfull:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/187739

> As I understand it, a SATA drive is not designated as hda when it is
> seen by Linux. -- booting from a different root device means a change in
> grub.conf and in the MBR

Thats right, the SATA drive is seen as sda, and with some more work (kernel
rebuild) to have the SCSI modules built in and not as modules things are
coming along quite well. DF shows just the sda.x on the system now:)

> However, the change in the grub configuration and the MBR is simple in
> comparison to the change in the physical device.

Well, ok :) I am a hardware guy myself,

> > > or use  g4u to do what you want.
> > >
> > > for info see http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/
> >
> > Excellent! I will have a look at that site tommorow.

I must say that software worked fine, no problem at all, and I guess next up
is to partition the FRee space on the new drive to bring that into use, or
maybe look around for something to Resize the partition but I have a
feeling that is not a good idea.

Anyway thanks for the tips, in fact I have learned a lot over these last few
days, from various posts about "dual booting" "ghosting".

As it stands now, I have done nothing regarding MBR/Grub, but wonder if I
should try and install grub to the new drive?

Thanks again,

Colin
--
Fedora Core 2, Custom Built Kernel 2.6.8.1
KDE-Redhat-3.3.1-0.2.2.kde