Re: Port forwarding and ssh

I have a simple adsl router and gateway on the configuration i can allow
to forward port 22 to a specific machine. But when i try to connect by
ssh the machine from outside i have this answer : ssh: connect to host
toto.homeip.net port 22: Connection refused. I disable the firewall to
make some tries but the same. Is there a special configuration for ssh
to allow this ?
Thanks
Eric

One problem is that toto.homeip.net is resolving to 10.0.0.2, which is a private address that you can't contact from the outside. Try doing an ssh from outside, to the numeric public IP address of your ADSL connection. (You can find this from your router, or by visiting http://www.whatismyip.com/ from a machine on your LAN.) If that works, you have a DNS problem unrelated to SSH. If not, see if you can SSH from another machine on your LAN. If so, you have a router configuration problem. If not, see if the sshd service is running.

--Stewart