Re: Preferred directory structure for shared multimedia files

Nick Pierpoint wrote:
I know this is a bit of "why on earth does it matter" question but these
are the sort of things that wind me up and up to the point that I'm
never happy with whatever solution I end up with...

So...

I'm creating a central repository of music and pictures that I'll make
available over a wireless network within my home.

Predictably enough, instead of starting with a sensible practical issue,
the issue that's really getting to me is under what directory structure
to keep the repository?

Basically trying to follow FHS (http://www.pathname.com/fhs):

Currently its all under /opt/media so you'll understand my predicament.

/usr/share/multimedia: seems to fit best with the FHS

/media: my original top choice for a while but seems to be preferred to
/mnt in the FHS.

/multimedia: feels a bit prominent

After talking it through with myself will probably go with
/usr/share/multimedia

Any thoughts? Anyone care?

Thanks for reading this far.

--
nick

In my judgment, I believe you've done a bit of "over thinking" in this case. Although I would agree that on a single, non-networked computer I would agree that the /usr/share/<multimedia> or other dir name would be appropriate if we are talking about the location of user-shared that are not app/environment-related (which would include backgrounds, themes, etc.). However, in this case, I would suggest that this is actually a network share (nfs). If you have room for a separate partition, I would suggest you make such a partition for these files and mount it under the /mnt (/mnt/pub is what I would do) dir. I use an external network drive mounted directly to the network (nfs share) and have a /pub sym link for convenience. As I stated at the beginning, I don't think this is relevant. These files don't fall under the category of app/environment-related stuff, ergo FHS doesn't really care about their location. If you have a separate /home partition (which is the least you should have), putting such files under the /home dir (/home/pub) makes just as much sense as anything else IMHO.

Craig