Inherited Fonts

This is a question on how and where fonts are loaded/used.

I am running FC2, with Openbox for the display manager.  It works very
well except whenever I load an application, such as Evolution or other
X-Windows application, all the fonts that are not specifically set by
the application - such as menus, button descriptions etc, appear in very
small font - I'd say about size=7.  This is true for all applications,
including Gnome and KDE apps.  I can understand why the fonts appear
different for Gnome and KDE apps, because the display manager is not
Gnome or KDE, but what about other X-Windows apps?  I suspect there is a
"default" or "system" font being loaded above the OS but below the
display manger, such as when X is loaded, but I cannot find any config
file to modify to change the size to say 10 or 12 rather than what
appears to be 7.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!  Thanks!
--
Ken Yerex
Datawest Systems Inc.