Multiple Web Sites on the same server

Hi all:

What is the best practice for getting a single server to host multiple domains?

Specifically, I have access to a few public IP addresses and I would like each web site to use a unique public IP address, just in case we desire to break out the sites onto seperate servers.

I want to set up the DNS for the domains to point to the unique addresses from the start.

Does this make sense?

I need to multi-home the servers NIC, yes?

How do I do that?

What do I need to do on the server to serve out multiple sites?

Thanks in advance,

Joe