Re: OT (ish): How to copy hidden files/directories

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, James Wilkinson wrote:

CB wrote:
I can't figure out how to do this: copy (or move) all the hidden files
and directories contained in one directory to another directory.

Is it as embarrasingly simple as I imagine it must be?

Last time this came up, Ulrich Drepper pointed out the shopt -s dotglob command.

however, that requires a special shell option that won't work if one is not using, say, bash. a solution that uses only regular wildcards:

$ cp -r * .[!.]* <destdir>

why this works is left as an exercise for the viewer.

rday