Re: QT 3.3 and upgrade KDE to 3.3: newbie question

root wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just installed FEDORA to drive away from Microsoft and I nearly
> completely new to UNIX/Linux/Fedora, but I have a lot of experience
> (working in IT) with VMS, OpenVMS and W2K, WNT...
>
> First of al I configured YUM to use download servers nearby and with YUM
> UPGRADE a upgraded my fedora to 2.6.8.-1.521. I accepted everyting so i
> think my whole system is upgraded.
>
> I wanted to install some software (KNetStats,
> http://knetstats.sourceforge.net/) that requires QT 3.3 and I think I
> know that this comes together with KDE 3.3. that is based on it (am I
> right?).
>
> I have some questions about QT and KDE related to upgrading.

<snip>

> 2. I wanted to upgrade KDE to KDE 3 (which is announced) but end up in a
> internet-folder (ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/2/RPMS.stable/)
> Not the faintest idea which of all these files I have to download and
> how to install them.
>
> 3. Is there a possibility to configure YUM in a way that I can use it to
> upgrade my KDE-environment to 3.3?

Put the following in your yum.conf
=======================
[kde-redhat-fedora-stable-$releasever]
name=kde-redhat.org (fedora-stable)
baseurl=ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/fedora/$releasever/stable

[kde-redhat-fedora-stable-all]
name=kde-redhat.org (fedora-stable)
baseurl=ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/fedora/all/stable

[kde-redhat-kde-stable-$releasever]
name=kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
baseurl=ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/$releasever/stable

[kde-redhat-kde-stable-all]
name=kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
baseurl=ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/all/stable

[kde-redhat-fedora-stable]
name=kde-redhat.org (fedora-stable)
baseurl=http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/fedora/$releasever/stable

[kde-redhat-fedora-stable-all]
name=kde-redhat.org (fedora-stable)
baseurl=http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/fedora/all/stable

[kde-redhat-kde-stable]
name=kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
baseurl=http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/$releasever/stable

[kde-redhat-kde-stable-all]
name=kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
baseurl=http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/all/stable

Having so many sources might be overkill, but it works for me, YMMV.

Sharon.