Re: FC2 destroyed Windows XP!!

Paolo Bonavoglia wrote:

Two days ago i installed FC2 on a PC wich had Windows XP installed in the first partition and FC-1 on the remaining HD space (about 20G). I choose a brand new installation deleting the old one of FC1.

When I started Druid for re-partitioning the HD a strange message appeared telling something like "There is a problem in the partition table which is not congruent with the BIOS geometry; this can cause problems with bootloader, but the problems are fixable". (but it didn't say how)

The PC is just a client in a network and doesn't contain any valuable information, so I carelessly continued the installation, activating the GRUB boot-loader etc.etc.

Bad news came at the end of installation: FC2 works perfectly, but Windows XP is no more usable; if I select Windows from the GRUB menu the PC hangs up.

Worst of all: I tried to reinstall Windows XP from the originale Microsoft CD, installation begins normally, I choose the old partition, reformat the partition, installation files are copied, but when Windows XP restarts the computer the first time, the computer hangs with an error message like: "can not load operating system".

I tried everything I can guess, I even deleted all partition from the HD with fdisk, recreated new partitions, restarted the XP installation process, but it ends up the same way: at the first reboot the PC can not load any operating system.

Seems the PC can not find the first partition or the partition table.

I looked in the BIOS also but didn't find any useful tool.

On the other hand if I install FC2 everything goes well and FC2 works perfectly!!

Hope someone can help me to get out of this nightmare!!

Do you want a .PDF file with full instructions on how to do it without re-installing WinXP?
--
* Carlos Alberto Alves *