Re: Looking for backup software of complete system

On Saturday 2004-10-09 14:06, Mike Noble wrote:
> I have checked with members of the SAGE mailing list and several
> have been using dump with Linux for the last couple of years.
> Yes they have tested for disaster recover and it has worked fine.
> One not is that dump will only work for ext2 and ext3 file systems.
> XFS has xfsdump and xfsrestore.  Do not know what Reiser has.
> But as mentioned by someone on this thread already, do test your
> backups every now and then to make sure that you can recover.

when I use dump and restore on RedHat9 through FedoraCore1 using EXT3
I never get a successful compare... it always complains that the next
inode it expected to find data from is not the one it found, and that
happens not just at media changes, but throughout the dataset...
I'm backing-up to DVD-RAM, 1st generation (2.6GB/side) on a
Matshita/Matsushita drive which IDs as:
'MATSHITA' 'PD-2 LF-D100    ' 'A120' Removable CD-ROM

--
Copyright 2004 Angela Kahealani. All rights reserved without prejudice;
UCC1-207. All information and transactions are non negotiable and are