Re: Looking for backup software of complete system

Randy Kelsoe wrote:
Mike Noble wrote:

Depending on the file system that you have(ext2,ext3....)
I would recommend dump or cpio. If you have a tape drive
attached (lets say /dev/st0) you can use the following
dump command:

dump 0uf /dev/st0 /

This will dump the entire contents of the / file system
to the tape drive.
You can then restore from tape with the command restore.

So, has dump been fixed? Last I heard (and it was a while ago), Linus said if you used dump, you WOULD have data corruption.

I just used dump to move the OS from one partition to another one and it worked just fine. Now I will say that this was done with Mandrake Linux dump, but dump should be the same for either Mandrake, Fedora, debian....).

Mike
--
Usenix member  http://www.usenix.org
Sage member    http://www.sage.org