Re: Looking for backup software of complete system

----- Original Message ----- From: Rick Lim
To: Fedora List
Sent: Saturday, 09 October, 2004 16:46
Subject: Looking for backup software of complete system

Hi there,
Could anyone recommend a backup software that would back up the whole system, what I am looking for is much like Ghost for Linux but the system has to keep running.
I am not worried about log files, this is the case where if the machine fails then we are down for the period of time it takes to either build a new OS disk and reinstall all of the custom programs and their numerous quirks or grab the latest restore from the back media and just 'clone' a new disk with all the programs setup.

What I have tried in the past is to clone the harddisk using the harddisk upgrade howto method, but that involves taking the machine completely offline, also cutting an image with Ghost means taking the machine offline.

Thanks.

I always use cpio.
On my live system i run a cpio backup to tape and exclude files in /proc and /sys.
When I need to restore I only have to boot a linux rescue cd, partition the 'new' disk and create filesystems on it , mount the partitions and start the cpio restore.
After restoring I install grub again and voila......boot the system and you're back in business

Edwin