Re: fedora hosting question

Am Fr, den 08.10.2004 schrieb Lonnie Cumberland um 20:03:

> I am wanting to learn how to set up am run a linux web hosting service
> as an opensource learning project to select some of the best
> applications to be included from around the web and using Fedora 2 as
> the platform. As I am new to this hosting I am sure not to use the
> correct terminology.

A serious warning: start hosting for customers only if you have much
experience with all the involved services. And much means for over
years. Web hosting is no trivial job.

- http://www.web-cp.net/
-
http://www.molesoftware.com/www/index.php?i18n=de&pid=1&title=Produkte&sub=4

> 2. Maybe a user registration/admin  PHP script or so that they can set
> up a basic account on a server

See above.

> 3. Not sure how the domain registration works but I want to learn about
> that too.

Then you should contact a registration company and ask for there
conditions and how they work. First you will have to learn
administrating DNS from scratch. www.tldp.org has a DNS (bind) howto.

http://dag.wieers.com/howto/bits/bind-ddns.php

> 5. Will implement things like SAMBA to the users accounts as well as
> offering them web, mail, and ftp services

Samba for what? Samba has nothing to search in the field of webhosting.
Get familiar with secure services like IMAPs/POP3s, HTTPS and FTPS or
FTP/TLS.

> By the way, all of this is to be opensource and free
>
> Anyway, this should be some good learning on how to be a linux hosting
> service provider and I hope to get some good guidance from the forum.

Don't expect you can get trained to be a Linux hosting service provider
from asking a bit and reading a few papers. I told you initially. It
needs a lot and long experience.

> Lonnie

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 20:39:19 up 8 days, 23:05, load average: 0.87, 0.38, 0.30