Re: DVD on Fedora

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 11:48:22AM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> From: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:48:22 -0700
> Subject: Re: DVD on Fedora
>
> On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 11:27, David Mamanakis wrote:
>
> > What I need is a simple DVD player...simple to install, and will play any DVD
> > I put in the machine...
> > Or
> > Give me detailed instructions, a web site with detailed instructions, and let
> > me have at it...
>
> Add this to /etc/yum.conf:
>
> [freshrpms]
> name=Fedora Linux $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
> baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms
>
> Then run:
>
> yum install xine

Or perhaps do this.

    cd /etc
    cp yum.conf yum.conf.freshrpms
    vi yum.conf.freshrpms

Add the above freshrpms site info to this new config file.

Then run:

    yum  -c /etc/yum.conf.freshrpms xine

The advantage is that in the future there is more clarity with regard
to base fedora which is rich in tools already and the other excellent
distribution collections that we know and love that are rich in
goodness knows what.

By keeping clarity on the the base, with basic yum (/etc/yum.conf) and
up2date (/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources) config files some system
administration tasks become simpler to understand.

For example  with no config file changes

    up2date --show-orphans

will list packages that are not standard Fedora-N.  This then lets you
selectively watch for and update the special packages from other
distribution collections as needed.

I have seen just enough postings by confused new-users that
grab this that and anything 'interesting' only to find that
some conflict keeps them from installing an important update.

In part this all depends on how good your personal memory and system
notebook are.   Mostly this is VERY important when deciding to update
the base OS.  FC3 is not far ....

I happen to have three /etc/yum.conf files and just noticed a
/etc/yum.conf.rpmnew that tells me I might need to tidy something up.
Off to tidy...

YMMV.

Have fun.
Tom