Re: Fedora Core 3 test 2 performance

Thanks for the link.

The drive is an IBM Travelstar 60gb 5400 rpm hard drive.

I booted into single user mode and did some testing to compare to what
I was seeing at runlevel 5. (cr = cached reads timing; br = buffered
reads timing)  The numbers represent the highest MB/sec from 4
consecutive executions of hdparm -tT

hdparm -c0 -d0 -u0 /dev/hda

Single user:
  cr: 704
  br: 2.89

RL 5
  cr: 698
  br: 2.46

hdparm -c1 -d1 -u1 /dev/hda

Single User:
  cr: 724
  br: 21.15

RL 5
cr: 709 MB/sec
br: 16.97 MB/sec

So, I guess at 16.97 MB/sec in runlevel 5, I'm seeing about the best I
can expect from this drive.  At least with more or less standard
hdparm settings.

So, I'm getting sufficient performance from the drives now, but
startup still takes about 4 minutes from entering my password.  If I
run hdparm -tT immediately after login, I see buffered reads around
2.5 MB/sec!

Top shows load averages around 2 with the CPU showing 90+% waiting.
After a short while, the system drops to about 98% idle, but my disk
timings do not immediately improve.

Puzzling!

Glenn