Re: Digitally signed emails

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 11:57:31AM -0400, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 22:32, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Is anyone on this list experiencing crashes with Outlook viewing
> > > digitally signed emails when the public key cannot be found?
> >
> > What PGP plugin are you using? I keep on having horrible

Look at the full header raw message text of a problem message
with a 'pure text' tool.

Look for the MIME blocks in the message.  Then search your MIME
(Outlook mailcap equivalent) associations for each type.  I suspect
that one of the digital signature blocks has a bad tool assignment in
your Outlook profile.

i.e. There are places that map .doc to Word,  .txt to Notepad
or what ever you want.

In your case I believe that the 'viewer' is borking on something
unexpected and taking Outlook with it to the outhouse.  Compare and
contrast with OutlookExpress.  They might have different profiles that
you can take hints on.

You can look with your search engine of choice for Outlook and
mime attachment association. Since OL is a MS thing look on
their help pages in addition to Google, Altavista, etc...

I no longer have Outlook anymore so I canot do the type of digging
that will give a better answer...

The key lines will have stuff like.... (The XX is so
your reader does not bork, I hope).

    CXXontent-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="--
    CXXontent-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
    CXXontent-type: multipart/signed; micalg=pgp-sha1;
       protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="=-D

My guess is that the application you have mapped for pgp-signature
is wrong or busted.

It should be OK to have nothing mapped.
Instability is possible if the wrong thing is mapped.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Me, I would "Rather" Not.