Re: OT: spammers are using my domain again

On October 8, 2004 2:39 am, Phillip T. George wrote:
> Also sounds like you have a "catch all" turned on...meaning ANYTHING
> going to @haligonan.com goes to a specific address.  It would make sense
> to disable this.  The only use (that I can think of, off the top of my

True, I do. I suppose I should disable it, but usually it's no problem and
it's nice to not worry about people mistyping my name. Originally I did it so
I could play funny jokes with a young lady I was dating (by changing my name
to macgyver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bigbaby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, etc. depending on the
conversation in question) and still be able to receive mails even if she sent
to one of those addresses. But she is so long gone that I had forgotten that
reason until I just had to dig one up to justify the catchall. :-)

> I don't know of any actions you can take to move them on.  Get a new
> domain name and/or new email address is the best way to de-spam..and
> don't give it out ANYWHERE.  Especially do not use your email address
> when registering a domain name...and if possible...don't use your real
> physical address.  It is highly likely that someone picked up your doman

Absolutely. These are all ridiculous email addresses @haligonian.com. THey're
not really using my email address and if I turned off the catchall I could
dump a lot of the bounces.

> To summarize:
> 1. Turn off the "catch all"

check

> 2. If your main email account is getting a lot of spam...try to change
> it if possible

no way. been using it for a decade and bogofilter handles the spam that comes
in so I never see it (never had a false positive that I know of and I monitor
fairly regularly). :-)

> Sounds like you already have some anti-spam software installed.  If not,
> you mght look into SpamAssassin and especially look into "Bayesian
> filtering"

Definitely. That's what bogofilter is. I strongly recommend it. I have it set
up on my single user system, interfaced with Kmail and no procmail or
fetchmail or anything is required.

--
Trevor Smith // trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx