Re: Japanese Language kit

Message: 9
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:27:03 +0530
From: "Rajiv" <jrajiv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Japanese Language kit
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear All,
Basically to read and write japanese. I would also appriciate if anyone could give me a good link for learning japanese so that it would be useful for my next project.

Regards,
Rajiv

Another poster did a good job of describing the steps for Japanese support. I would also mention that Mozilla works fine for Japanese mail and can be run fully localized or with English menus. Also Openoffice has full Japanese versions, if you need an office suite.

As for learning, you might take a look at Jim Breen's page at Monash University. He has some good stuff, including EDICT (a free Japanese dictionary for computers). There's also a Java package that I use called "jgloss" which is also very useful. It scans Japanese text and annotates all of the Kanji with definitions and readings. You can find it at Freshmeat.