RE: Fedora, Apache & PHP

Peter Borcherds wrote:

> I just wish Linux was as easy to setup as Windows...that is about the only
> advantage Windows has, but it is a good advantage!

Have you actually "set up" Windows on a bare computer?
In my experience you are more likely to meet obstacles with Windows
than you are with Linux,
and more to the point if you do meet obstacles
they are much more difficult to overcome.

Eg I put a new disk in my Sony C1VFK Picturebook (the old one died)
a couple of weeks ago, and tried to re-install Windows.
The CDs supplied by Sony didn't work,
and when I asked Sony Help I was told that the CDs
only worked on the given machine,
and changing the disk was regarded as changing the machine.

[I was actually able to re-install Windows under Linux.
I found the "dead" disk was resurrected if run as a USB disk
on another computer,
so I dd-ed the Windows partition back onto the new disk on the laptop
and to my surprise it worked.]

I had another almost insoluble problem installing Windows-2000
on a SCSI-only machine,
and only found the solution from an email sent to me some weeks later,
advising me to press F6 (IIRC) at a critical point.

I've had plenty of problems installing Linux,
but I've always got lots of advice on the newsgroups,
usually the same day.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366