Re: DVD on Fedora

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 14:27, David Mamanakis wrote:
> I have spent the better part of 2 days looking for a viable DVD player for
> Fedora...
> I found 4 or 5 of them, but none are "simple" (at least to this Linux
> NeoNate)....
>
> What I need is a simple DVD player...simple to install, and will play any DVD
> I put in the machine...
> Or
> Give me detailed instructions, a web site with detailed instructions, and let
> me have at it...
>
> Where do I unpack the files, run the make or other command to build it, where
> does it install to, etc...
>
> Thanks much for all your help! (and patients)
>
> --E

You might want to take a gander at the FAQ for Fedora at
www.fedorafaq.org....

Pay particular attention to the information about "setting up" yum to be
able to download software and such.  Once you have updated your yum.conf
file to include a few choice repositories (I still use the default on
downloaded from that site), we can look at "adding" software to your
system.

As to DVD Players, there are a few options for you.  Some people like
mplayer and that is discussed on the FAQ.  Personally I seem to have
jumped into the xine camp.  Once I had my yum.conf set up, I simply did
a "yum install xine" and I now had it.  I do think there was one more
package that I needed to install manually again using the "yum install
packagename" to get DVD movies to play (was it libdvdcss??) (someone
else will probably jump in with some more details)....

The real key is getting the "repositories" defined in something like
yum...

HTH,

--Rob