Re: Re : Focus follow pointer doesn't work all the time

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 06:03:56PM -0700, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:

>     >> My current window loses focus when a new application comes up. This is
>     >> annoying (to me). Is there a setting I can tweak that will *ALWAYS* give
>     >> focus to the window under the pointer?
>     >>
>     rem> from gnome:
>     rem> select preferences
>     rem> select windows
>     rem> from popup window indicate window focus preference
>
> No, that doesn't do it. I already have that set and it exhibits the
> behavior I mentioned above.

I have seen this problem on occasion too.

Mostly I see it after an update and prior to
a reboot.  I suspect X has some libraries open
and new X client applications link to the new libs.
I also have nVidia and know that I must reload those
drivers+libs.  The recent update to Mesa will stomp
on the GL libs.

I suspect notifiers are doing a grab focus call and
something is not mapping the call correctly.

I have seen in with Python tools like up2date.

So
   Q: nVidia?
   Q: recent X updates?

Do inspect the debug logs for X.