Re: What Next

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 11:02, Don Cavaiani wrote:
> I have downloaded the 4 large CD images to my PC hard drive (XP).  I also
> have a copy of UltraISO which is able to display the actual files under the
> CD Image files.  I know I need to create some kind of a Boot CD or Floppy,
> but I have not found a clear explanation yet.  I expect that if I can boot
> into Linux, then I will need to use "parted" to create a small FAT32
> partition, and the Linux partition ........and then load the entire Linux
> O/S ???

Okay, a couple of things to keep in mind.  UltraISO is NOT going to help
you particularly.  You need to burn the ISO 'images' (not the .iso
files) to CD's.

Here's the tricky part, Fedora doesn't come with a real easy to use
version of parted (it's text based and I get the feeling you're more a
GUI kind of person.)  Go to www.sysresccd.org and download the System
Rescue CD (it's open source) and use QTparted it looks similar to
Partition Magic and works great, I've used it several times with no
problems.  Unless of course you have a copy of PM.

Resize the existing XP partition (always defrag first!) to give you some
room (10GB or more is good.) and boot the first Fedora CD and off you
go.

If you need any additional help, you can reply off-list to me, I've
walked several people through this.

> Don F. Cavaiani
> IT Manager
> Amerequip Corp.
> 920-894-7063

Mark Haney
Network Administrator
InterAct Public Safety Systems
mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) Kernel: 2.6.8-1.521 GNU/Linux