Re: Samba general question

On Oct 6, 2004, at 11:13 PM, Gordon Charrick wrote:

I've been trying to share my printer that is connected to my linux computer to my bf's windows xp machine. The two computers are connected (by wireless) to a linksys router so they're on the same subnet. There isn't a chance the router could be blocking the connection, is there? The wireless is running on eth1 and I can ping from one machine to the other.

I also have vmware running on my linux machine so I can do tests locally. When I run "net view \\gmc" on my vmware guest I get a list of shares and can connect to the printer and see the files in the "testshare" share. If I run the same comand on my bf's computer I get access denied. It's not firewall related because I'm testing it with no rules set.

I'm including my smb.conf below.

[global]
        workgroup = HOME
        interfaces = eth1 vmnet1
        bind interfaces only = yes
        load printers = yes
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        guest account = smbprint
        domain master = no
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        os level = 65
[testshare]
        comment = test path to tmp
        path =/tmp
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        writable = no
[printers]
        comment = Linux printer
        path = /home/smbprint
        browseable = yes
        public = yes
        guest ok = yes
        writable = yes
        printable = yes
        printer admin = root
        use client driver = yes

--
Gordon Charrick
gordonmc@xxxxxxx

I had some problems with printers at one time. After some research I found a solution that worked. I hope this works for you. Below you will find my printers section of my smb.conf

[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         browseable = no
         public = yes
         guest ok = yes
         writable = no
         printable = yes
         create mode = 0700
         print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r
         lpq command = lpstat -o %p
         lprm command = cancel %p-%j

Wayne Leutwyler, RHCT
http://linux.is-a-geek.net
Open Source + Open Minds = Open Solutions