Re: how to learn linux!?

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:56:41 +0800, louis wang <louiskingwang@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> fedora-listï
>
>  I am a beignner to learn Linux, who can finger out one way to help me !!
>
> louis wang
> louiskingwang@xxxxxxx
> 2004-10-06
>
> --

Hi, I have some advice.  I am a certified trainer and I have taught a
lot of different OS's including UNIX/Linux and I can say that for a
lot of people the 'learning curve' for Linux can seem like a cliff.
However there are a lot of good resources to help you.

1.  First it would help to get a dedicated machine to practice on.
Linux has basically like 20 thousand or so files, and people do major
customizations and editing of these files.   install Linux as many
ways as you can, play around with the filesystem and partitioning, try
differrent boot loaders, try dual boot systems with other Os-es
(windows/other linuxes etc).

2.  Pick a distribution.  This is where it gets tricky, since everyone
has a differrent opinon on why you might want one over another.  I
would recommend Red Hat/FC, SuSE, or Mandrake over other distributions
such as Gentoo or Debian.   IMO the latter are more advanced and will
probably confuse you more in the beginning.  Later you can make a more
informed decision based on preferences, needs, etc.  Knoppix is also
good for learning, since you can put the cd in the cdrom drive, go in
the BIOS and set it to boot from cd, and it will not change the hard
drive.

This part is highly subjective (flame away guys, this is one man's opinion....)

3.  Learn an editor (see # 1).  Red Hat/Fedora comes with vim, but you
may also wish to try some other more advanced editors.

4.  www.linuxmigration.com has some good beginner-type tutorials, with
screenshots etc.  Also redhat.com has some good technical papers and
forums to see questions and answers.  This list, and others like it,
are FANTASTIC resources, since so many people read them and are able
to respond with quick fixes for a lot of problems.  Do not hesitate to
post questions.

5.   Learn how to read the 'man' pages for a command.  Let's say you
see a command, such as the 'ls' command being talked about on some of
the lists.  Rather than post 'what is ls'?  to the group, you can also
do some of your own detective work.   Type  something like
man ls      and hit enter

and it will tell you ALL the differrent ways to use the commands.
This way, you will have more information and knowledge about the
usage, syntax, switches, etc.  See if you can get a command working BY
YOURSELF FIRST,  _THEN_ if you cannnot, post a detailed question to
the group telling us what you did and what error messages you got,
etc.  You will find people are more than willing to help you, if you
have done the initial troubleshooting and still have a problem.

6.  Join a LUG - Linux users group.  If you can't find one, create
one!  Go to the Groups of Linux Users Everywhere to find a LUG near
you.      http://glue.linuxgazette.com/    This is a GREAT way to get
questions answered by knowledgeable people, in person at the meetings.

7.  http://www.linuxquestions.org/    is another great site.

Hope that helps.
Marc