Re: Custom Kernels

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 11:56, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 11:04, Mark Haney wrote:
> > > Simply jumping in and frobbing the knobs is generally not good
> > > practice.  In most cases it will adversely affect your systems
> > > performance instead of improving it.
> > >
> > Can you say 'frobbing the knobs' in a public forum?
> >

> I knew I had seen a definition of this somewhere.  Enjoy!
>

> frobbing
> verb. Randomly adjusting the settings of an object, such as the dials on
> a piece of equipment or the options in a software program, in an effort
> to learn how the object works.
>
> Example Citation:
> "Why is babbling so important? The infant is like a person who has been
> given a complicated piece of audio equipment bristling with unlabeled
> knobs and switches but missing the instruction manual. In such
> situations people resort to what hackers call frobbingâfiddling
> aimlessly with the controls to see what happens."
> âSteven Pinker, The Language Instinct

Well don't that beat all?  I had no clue it was a real word.  Well I
certainly did learn something today.  And also something I can teach my
kids to say and not get in trouble at school with!  :)

> --
> Scot L. Harris
> webid@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> "I think trash is the most important manifestation of culture we have in my
> lifetime."
> - Johnny Legend

Mark Haney
Network Administrator
InterAct Public Safety Systems
mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) Kernel: 2.6.8-1.521 GNU/Linux