Re: Anti-Virus Software ?

    Is this some kind of holdover from our collective Windows days? At
least three people have suggested using ClamAv. Exactly how many Linux
viruses have they stopped?  How many times has Outlook crashed the hard
drive on a Linux system?

    Has anyone here ever seen a Jake Brake installed on a Ford Fiesta?

[Soapbox]
    Sure, there are exploits- all computer systems have them. But Linux
is not only growing, it's healing. With a nightly update and a cadre of
people who take such exploits as a personal affront.  Within minutes of
discovery, these guys start writing code and take much personal
satisfaction in doing so.  Sure, there will still be some machines that
get hit, but unlike our past collective experience, HERE we do something
about it, now.  We don't wait until HP or McDonalds has a problem, and
since they pay us millions on a tech support and no other reason.

    A new day has dawned, my friends. And our hard work, and that of a
great bunch of guys is aimed at never having to live in that antivirus
hell we once did.  Gator for example, can't happen here.  Slammer can't
happen here.  Only new things, and new things are difficult for people
to dream up.  And virus writers and other brain-donors don't do what's
hard- only what gives them the thrill. (If otherwise, they'd have
_real_jobs_)

    Now, sure, you can follow the ClamAv trail all ya like; in fact, do
so- just let me know if it ever finds anything. But I'm betting it
won't.  Further, I hope we never set up the mechanism where we _expect_
virues and start a cycle of dependency that the brainwashed among us
can't even SEE they're living in.

    (Right- I have no sympathy for people running Windows. Not at this
late date with so many broken promises from the Microsoft Corporation.)
[/Soapbox]

Brian FahrlÃnder                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller