continuous disk activity from GNOME

I have a Fedora Core 1 system which is generating disk activity every
5 seconds or so, even when it should be idle.  (The hard drive light
flashes, then there's a quiet whir followed by a "chuck" -- presumably
the drive spinning up and then engaging.)

If I quit GNOME this activity goes away.

Is this normal?  Is there any way to stop it (it can't be good for
the drive)?

Dann.
  http://dannyreviews.com/ - over seven hundred book reviews
  http://danny.oz.au/ -  civil liberties, travel tales, blog