Tricky post-install graphics problem

I'm having a really bizarre problem with my install.

The install goes fine, complete install with Intel extreme graphics card in a Gateway M275xl laptop, completely boots up into Fedora Core 2 and everything is wonderful, I can change the display settings to just about anything and my monitor is set up as a generic LCD.

Things get strange on subsequent reboots. On reboot there are two main screens one with a picture of a computer and a loading status bar, the other a text like interface listing manual startup issues with a green passed or red failed. Basically the computer randomly picks which of those two it's going to show on any particular boot and then also tries to decide how long (sometimes it randomly skips back and forth between the two on the same boot) Then when it does boot up and tries to start x (right after showing the logon prompt) 9 out of ten times I go to a straight blank screen that is unescapable via ctrl-alt-bkspace. The other time it boots to a screen that's half solid yellow and half solid black.

When that happens about half of the time I can hit ctrl-alt-bkspace and it will exit to a logon prompt where it will automatically start x and all is perfect. The other half of the time, every time I hit ctrl-alt-backspace it seems to wait two minutes, clear the screen and go back to the yellow and black again 30 seconds later.

What's up with this? And does anyone know how to keep X from starting automatically without using the GUI?

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/