Re: FC2+rsync+file corruption

Mike McMullen wrote:
> I am experiencing file+filesystem corruption when trying to do an rsync
> to an FC2 system.
>
> I have two FC2 systems. I use rsync to create a mirror of  our office data
> on the one system as a backup during different times of the day.
>
> Both systems were originally running RH7.3. A week a go I freshly installed
> FC2 from CD and updated to the most current version of packages on the
> main server and moved our applications over. The system ran fine for the
> week. So I installed FC2 from CD and updated packages on the backup
> server this weekend. This all went great.
>
> Today as I am trying to sync the backup to the main, I get the following
> errors after the rsync goes merrily on for about 8 gigabytes synced to the
> backup server.
>
> failed to set times on "somefilenamehere": Read-only file system
>
> Then I get the following error on every file after that:
>
> mkstemp "/EPC/data/SuppDocs/Vista/MooreM-1rst/.anotherfilename.Wnopm8" failed: Read-only file system
>
> The entire file system which is "/" is now read-only. If I try to reboot I get that the filesystem needs
> checked and drops me into maintenance. I fsck the partition and it find all kinds of problems
> and some files are mangled.

Sounds weird.

Run uname -a, please: there's an outside chance that you might have got
a particular test kernel (2.6.8-1.538) that has been causing problems
just like these.

Otherwise, it *could* always be a case of recently-developed memory
problems: run memtest86 to check.

Run smartctl -l error /dev/hdx on the underlying hard drives.

I'm not going to be popular for asking this, but is the problem
repeatable? Does it happen with a kernel.org kernel?

If you get to this point and the errors are repeatable, please enter
the problem into bugzilla.redhat.com.

James.
--
E-mail address: james | ... boxing the books up was a mistake: they are
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | welded to the floor through the power of gravity.