Re: network woes with laptop and pc card ethernet

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 00:37, William Anderson wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I have been running FC2 with a wireless LAN card and encountered similar
> trouble changing LANS before I figured out how the network profile
> system works.

not using profiles, only one network config and that is a wired network.

> Are you using a static IP address or are you using DHCP? Are you trying
> to use both cards at the same time or one at a time? Are you able to
> ping the laptop's IP address from another computer on the LAN?

static IP, never more than one card, no communication either way.

> Is the link light on the LAN card is also lighting up?

yes

> The first thing that I would check, if the routing table is OK when
> unable to connect, is the net mask. If it is wrong, you may not actually
> be on the same IP network that the other computers are on even though
> you are connected to the same physical network wiring.

verified everything repeatedly, and sometimes it works but more often
not.
When it does connect it works for a short time then loses the
communication although the link lights, and ifconfig show it is still
active.

> You might also try a different patch cable to connect the laptop to the
> network port or switch. A defective cable can cause trouble.

tried the cable, as well as different ports on the switch.

> Hopefully, this helps.

As I said, everything was working perfectly with RH9.  Now it is
intermittent at best (mostly not working).