Re: portable mp3 player recommendation

On or about 2004-09-27 10:26, Christopher J. Bottaro whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

Dave Cross wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:31:00 +0200, Andrea Giuliano
<a.giuliano@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Christopher,

your question is a bit confuse. Please specify what is a "portable mp3
player": a laser product? A pen drive? A hard drive?

He means an mp3 player. Something like an iPod.

Also, why do you ask "what kind of Linux (specifically KDE support) do
these devices have"? I don't think they need to even have an operating
system.

He's talking about Linux software for loading these products. I
believe that most of them can be configured to look like a USB
filesystem, but I don't know which ones have more complete softwre
available for Linux.

Dave...

Heh, yeah...what Dave said...=) I meant to say "What kind of Linux support (specifically KDE support) do these devices have?". And by support, I meant what kind of Linux programs are available to get the mp3s to and from the device, setup playlists, etc etc.

Thanks.

Just to clarify, with what little I've picked up from the newsgroups. There are apparently certain brands/models of mp3 players which do *not* support the simple mechanism of looking like an ordinary USB mounted file system. Such players require specific manufacturer-provided software to move mp3 files to the device, and of course they mostly provide Windows versions, sometimes a Mac version, but almost never a Linux version.

So the key technical point is to find out whether or not the device supports ordinary file transfer like a pen drive over USB. If not, I would look for something else. Most versions of Linux support USB file systems.

--
Fritz Whittington
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. And tomorrow isn't looking good either.