Re: backup a write-protected CD in Linux

 --- Shawn Milo <shawnmilo@xxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
> YigalB wrote:
>
> > I have a game which my kids love very much, run on XP. The company
> > which made this CD is no longer alive, and the CD starts to be in bed
> > shape ? so I must back it up ? the sooner is better.
> >
> > Is there a SW to do it under Fedora core? I know some utils under XP
> > (clone CD, Nero etc).
> >
> > Oh yea ? one more thing ? the CD is protected ? I guess it has some
> > ?bad sectors? or similar.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Yigal
> >

> I suggest trying dd. It is a simple command-line utility which will copy
> a file byte by byte, and will not be fooled by "bad sector" problems.
>
> Syntax: dd bs=32 if=/dev/hdb of=/home/yourname/file.iso
>
> The "bs=32" tells it to read in 32 bytes and write out 32 bytes,
> regardless of
> the junk in those bytes. This will even allow you to make copies of
> filesystems
> your system does not understand.
>
> Shawn

Hi, check that site:
http://www.megagames.com/psx/psx_copy_patch_linux.shtml

I don't know if you are trying to copy a psx cd, but I used the procedures said
here and it worked like a charm! So, I think it could work with any protected
cd you may want to back up. It also explains why dd would fail to copy some
protected cds.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.