Re: Linux on old laptop

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 17:15, Billy Tallis wrote:
> I have an old Toshiba Satellite Pro 445CDX laptop with 16MB of ram, a Pentium
> MMX 133 Mhz processor, and a 1.4GB hard drive.
> First, is it feasible to run linux on this machine?

The RULE (Run Up-to-date Linux Everywhere) was created to solve exactly
your problem. Using a modified installer and some modified packages but
*mostly* standard Red Hat RPM packages, RULE allows you to use computers
that are much too slow for a recently-released distro.

Plenty of installs have been documented in 486 boxen with as little as
8MB of RAM, so your box will work. Slow, of course, and with fewer
features and eye-candy in your GUI, but it will work. See:

http://www.rule-project.org/

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>