Re: DVD in xine

Jeff Vian wrote:
I have just installed a DVD+-RW in my PC.
It works perfectly to burn/read data CDs and DVDs
I created a link between the physical device and /dev/dvd, and can use
that link for burning/reading disks.

Now I am trying to play a movie DVD and it won't work. Xine launches,
but won't play the file.  I assume this is related to the encryption but
don't know and don't know what to do for getting past this point.

I have installed totem, and have the following packages that I thought
would work installed.

[root@goliath dev]# rpm -qa 'xine*' 'totem*'
totem-0.99.15.1-1.1.fc2.fr
xine-lib-1.0.0-0.14.rc6a.1.fc2.fr
xine-0.99.2-1.1.fc2.fr

I also have these dvd libraries/tools installed.
[root@goliath dev]# rpm -qa | grep dvd
dvd+rw-tools-5.17.4.8.6-2
libdvdcss-1.2.8-4.1.fc2.fr
libdvdread-0.9.4-5.1.fc2.fr
libdvdplay-1.0.1-4.1.fc2.fr

What else do I need, or does someone have a different suggestion for
playing DVDs.

TIA

Xine never has worked for me, but I could eventually get Totem to work when I installed libmad* in addition to those you have already installed.

Try installing libmad* to get that other library:
# yum install libmad*

Note that I'm assuming that you have your /etc/yum.conf configured similar to that found at the fedorafaq.org site.

While you are in the terminal, start totem from the command line. Watch the output from totem, because it tells you to be patient, and the first time I put in a DVD movie it really did take a long time to start (nearly 45 seconds iirc). After totem did its decryption, the movie fired right up.

HTH,
Clint