latest cdrecord version problems

I made a mistake and updated cdrecord using yum. This version with scanbus can't find my cd burner. It has another problem since it's upset with having to use sg and wants to use SG_IO. a modprobe on this system fails to find SG_IO. Has anyone this list managed to find that driver, and if so, what happened when writing CD's with it?