Re: Linux text editors

On or about 2004-09-15 19:39, Kenneth Porter whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

--On Wednesday, September 15, 2004 9:16 AM -0600 Guy Fraser <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Emacs can do a lot of things and do them well, but it operates very
differently that the editors you noted, and would require a steep learning
curve.

I learned it a million years ago using the built-in tutorial. Seemed pretty straightforward. The basic commands were pretty intuitive. Control with F, B, N, P goes Forward character, Backward character, Next line, Previous line. More advanced commands could be learned using the apropos feature. (What commands operate on windows? "Esc-x-apropos window".)

I learned it back before the introduction of the luxurious VT100 terminal, when keyboards were much more limited. No arrow keys, and maybe one or two function keys. Maybe no numeric keypad. No meta/alt keys, and only one Control key on the left. F1 was not yet the universal help key.

My experience was at the opposite end. I first learned emacs on a Lisp Machine, using the so-called space-cadet keyboard. (ctrl-meta-hyper-super-cokebottle!). But it didn't have a single Help key....

-- Fritz Whittington TI Alum - http://www.tialumni.org