CD Reader Blues - RH8

Hi all,
I have a new problem with a CD reader. This is on an IBM xSeries 232. The CD has been replaced and passes all of the IBM built in tests for linear and random reads plus the mechanical tests of door open/close etc.
I have made no modifications to the machine in the last two months. Its' only purpose is to act as a Samba server.

When trying to mount a CD I receive the following error:

[root@rgeserv1 root]# mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

When I look at dmesg I get: [root@rgeserv1 root]# dmesg | grep hda ide0: BM-DMA at 0x0840-0x0847, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA hda: LTN486S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive ide-scsi: hda: unsupported command in request queue (0) end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0

The fstab entry looks okay to my beginner eyes: /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

Where can I begin to look for the problem. I do not understand where the line:
ide-scsi: hda: unsupported command in request queue (0)

comes from.

All help and direction appreciated.

Tnx,

Bob