Re: Fedora Core 2 Installation Problem

Piggott, Edward wrote:
> I've spent the last few days attempting to install Core 2 on an old
> machine of mine.  However, whenever I test the integrity of disc 2,
> it either fails or cannot read the disc.
>
> I have downloaded the i386 ISO of disc 2 a number of times from a
> number of different mirror sites, and checked the checksum against the
> value given, and tried burning it to disc using different speeds
> (invariably slow ones) and different machines, but each time it  does
> not work.

Hi Edward,

It could always be a problem with the CD drive in that machine -- have
you tried checking it on other PCs?

What sort of blanks are you using: are they CD-R or CD-RW? Could you
borrow a CD-RW from another manufacturer, and see if that has any
trouble?

Is this machine on the ic.ac.uk network? Could it be (temporarily)? Does
it have a network card? If so, given that network, I'd try installing
FC2 from an HTTP or FTP server. You can either use the boot.iso on the
first CD, or boot from the first CD using the word "askmethod" on the
command line.

If you can't get it onto the ic.ac.uk network, could you network it
with another PC? If so, you should be able to get the files from there.

Sorry you're having problems,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "!" sez I.  And "?".  After a few speechless seconds
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | I come out with "%^&*".  Unless I come up with