Re: problem with 200GB hard drive

Jim Patterson wrote:
I am trying to install a 200GB hard drive and I can run fdisk and create the partition and then run mkfs.ext3 and format the partition, but whenever I try to mount the partition I get an error "to many files mounted or bad block on file system". If I decrease the size of he partition to 140GB then I can mount it, increase to 160GB and then I can't. If I create one partition 130GB and another partition 70GB then I can mount both.
Any ideas what could be causing this, I thought that if a computer had a problem with 137GB hardrives it simply wouldn't allow creation of a 200GB partition.
This is on a Fedora Core 1 system.

With that much disk space to setup, have you tried this with FC2. I'm using FC3 testing and the version is e2fsprogs-1.35-9.5

The changlog is attached. It might do a better job with this size disk.

There seems to be significant differences between the older FC2 version and what is contained in this version. I had disk problems and there was some complaint that one of my filesystems waa created with a newer version of mkfs and could not be checked. This must mean that it does more than the earlier versions or in a different way.

I don't have a disk that large to work with. This is just something that might get the drives sized to your preferences.

Jim
* Wed Sep 01 2004 Stephen C. Tweedie <sct@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.35-9.5

- Add ext2online device name canonicalisation for (eg) LVM symlinks

* Wed Sep 01 2004 Stephen C. Tweedie <sct@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.35-9.4

- Build and package ext2online during the e2fsprogs build

* Wed Sep 01 2004 Stephen C. Tweedie <sct@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.35-9.3

- Add ext2resize online resize tools to rpm

* Wed Sep 01 2004 Stephen C. Tweedie <sct@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.35-9.1.resize.2

- Enable the resize inode by default in mke2fs

* Tue Aug 31 2004 Stephen C. Tweedie <sct@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.35-9.1.resize.1

- Add initial ext2/3 online resize support

* Sun Aug 08 2004 Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxx>

- Close #125316 (buildreq texinfo, gettext)

* Tue Jun 15 2004 Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx>

- rebuilt

* Thu Apr 08 2004 Thomas Woerner <twoerner@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.35-7.1

- fixed 'check after next mount' for filesystems with maximum mount count -1
  (#117109)

* Mon Mar 15 2004 Thomas Woerner <twoerner@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.35-7

- final 1.35

* Tue Mar 02 2004 Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx>

- rebuilt

* Fri Feb 13 2004 Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx>

- rebuilt

* Thu Feb 05 2004 Thomas Woerner <twoerner@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.35-5.1

- C++ header fix for ext2fs.h

* Thu Feb 05 2004 Thomas Woerner <twoerner@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.35-5

- newest WIP version (2004.01.31)

* Thu Jan 08 2004 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- add patch from Dave Jones

* Sun Dec 14 2003 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.35-WIP-1207

* Fri Nov 14 2003 Phil Knirsch <pknirsch@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.35-2

- Updated s390 patch. It's not not arch dependant anymore but only changes the
  default blocksizes when necessary.

* Mon Nov 10 2003 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- own /lib/evwms directory  #109583
- build new rpm to get feedback on that snapshot

* Thu Nov 06 2003 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update the mainframe patch to its current version, but disable it
  until the change also properly supports SCSI and is usable also
  for non-mainframe archs

* Mon Sep 15 2003 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.35-pre
- use ldconfig to create symlinks to shared libs
- remove some cruft from the spec file
- man3 is now part of the devel rpm

* Fri Aug 01 2003 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.34
- do not strip some more apps, should probably just change $(STRIP)...

* Wed Jun 04 2003 Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx>

- rebuilt

* Thu May 08 2003 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.33
- enable translations

* Fri Apr 18 2003 Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.32-11

- fix error message, do block size checking on s390 only

* Thu Apr 17 2003 Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.32-10

- check the return code of BLKSSZGET ioctl() to avoid breaking with files

* Tue Apr 15 2003 Phil Knirsch <pknirsch@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.32-9

- Improved dasd blocksize patch to make it more generic and work correctly.

* Thu Mar 27 2003 Phil Knirsch <pknirsch@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.32-8

- Removed sync call from e2fsck target. Not needed anymore.

* Wed Mar 26 2003 Phil Knirsch <pknirsch@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.32-7

- Fixed problem with mke2fs and default blocksize small partitions on dasd
- Disabled Florians patch for now as it's a little incomplete. :-)

* Sun Feb 23 2003 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- add an ugly patch to read full lines of input during e2fsck for /dev/console

* Wed Jan 22 2003 Tim Powers <timp@xxxxxxxxxx>

- rebuilt

* Tue Jan 14 2003 Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.32-2

- do *not* create htree filesystems by default

* Mon Nov 11 2002 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.32

* Fri Nov 01 2002 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.30, leave out already integrated patches
- clean up spec file
- also package some missing files

* Tue Sep 24 2002 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.29, adapt patches to current source

* Sat Aug 10 2002 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- add missing man-pages to filelist

* Fri Jun 21 2002 Tim Powers <timp@xxxxxxxxxx>

- automated rebuild

* Fri Jun 21 2002 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- add HTree version of e2fsprogs, disable s390 patch
- add e2fsprogs-dir_index.patch

* Mon Jun 17 2002 Karsten Hopp <karsten@xxxxxxxxx>

- set default blocksize for mke2fs on S/390 and zSeries to 4096

* Thu May 23 2002 Tim Powers <timp@xxxxxxxxxx>

- automated rebuild

* Tue Apr 09 2002 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- fix further bug in man-page #62995

* Thu Apr 04 2002 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- fix man-pages

* Thu Mar 21 2002 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.27
- patch5 should not be needed anymore

* Fri Mar 08 2002 Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx>

- Make link for mkfs.ext3 (patch5)
- Add man pages for {mkfs,fsck}.{ext2,ext3}

* Tue Feb 19 2002 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.26

* Wed Jan 09 2002 Tim Powers <timp@xxxxxxxxxx>

- automated rebuild

* Sun Nov 04 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.25
- patch for BLKGETSIZE64 is not needed anymore
- adapt autoconf-2.50 patch

* Thu Nov 01 2001 Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.23-5

- Make the C++ patch work even with g++ 3.1

* Mon Oct 22 2001 Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.23-4

- Fix headers of libext2fs - it wasn't possible to include them from
  C++ code (using private as a variable name isn't a good idea)
- Fix build with autoconf 2.5x

* Mon Sep 17 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- add e2image to filelist

* Wed Aug 29 2001 Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx>

- disable BLKGETSIZE64 ioctl support for now

* Sun Aug 26 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.23. This was requested to support the "auto" fstype
  to ease ext2 <-> ext3 conversions.

* Tue Jul 24 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- add some more man-pages, patch by <Martin.Wilck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

* Tue Jun 26 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- make sure "configure" is writable

* Mon Jun 25 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.22

* Tue Jun 19 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.21

* Mon Jun 11 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- add endian patch from sct@xxxxxxxxxx  #44104

* Tue May 29 2001 Than Ngo <than@xxxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.20
- add Url

* Tue May 15 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- make sure ldconfig doesn't have any input and scripts end
  with "exit 0"

* Tue May 15 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- update to e2fsprogs-1.20-WIP-0514.tar.gz

* Sun Apr 15 2001 Alan Eldridge <alane@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

- Added 16K buffer for reading /proc/partitions in
  get_label_by_device.c to correct problems with LABEL= in fsck
  caused by not reading /proc/partitions in a single read() call;
  if somebody has a "partitions" > 16K, it may still fail ...

* Fri Apr 06 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- add further IDE and SCSI disks to a hardcoded list in fsck #34190

* Tue Feb 27 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- require the main rpm from the devel rpm

* Thu Feb 22 2001 Helge Deller <hdeller@xxxxxxxxx>

- fix fsck -A bug (#21242)

* Mon Feb 12 2001 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@xxxxxxxxx>

- fix bug with 16 byte long labels #27071

* Mon Sep 11 2000 Jeff Johnson <jbj@xxxxxxxxxx>

- build for Red Hat 7.1.

* Tue Aug 08 2000 Jeff Johnson <jbj@xxxxxxxxxx>

- merge LABEL patch.
- update to 1.19.

* Tue Jul 25 2000 Erik Troan <ewt@xxxxxxxxxx>

- fixed LABEL handling

* Wed Jul 19 2000 Jakub Jelinek <jakub@xxxxxxxxxx>

- rebuild to cope with glibc locale binary incompatibility

* Wed Jul 12 2000 Prospector <bugzilla@xxxxxxxxxx>

- automatic rebuild

* Mon Jun 26 2000 Matt Wilson <msw@xxxxxxxxxx>

- added resize2fs from the WIP snapshot

* Thu Jun 15 2000 Matt Wilson <msw@xxxxxxxxxx>

- patched to build against linux 2.4 headers

* Mon Jun 05 2000 Jeff Johnson <jbj@xxxxxxxxxx>

- FHS packaging.

* Fri Apr 28 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx>

- fix for ia64

* Sat Feb 05 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx>

- add install-info scripts

* Thu Feb 03 2000 Elliot Lee <sopwith@xxxxxxxxxx>

- Fix bug #8585 (Y2K problems in debugfs)

* Wed Feb 02 2000 Jakub Jelinek <jakub@xxxxxxxxxx>

- allow multiline errors in et, so that other programs
  can use compile_et (from Kerberos)

* Thu Jan 13 2000 Jeff Johnson <jbj@xxxxxxxxxx>

- build 1.18 for 6.2.

* Tue Oct 26 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.17

* Mon Oct 25 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.16

* Thu Oct 21 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx>

- add patch to fix SIGUSR1 kills.

* Mon Oct 04 1999 Cristian Gafton <gafton@xxxxxxxxxx>

- rebuild against new glibc in the sparc tree

* Thu Sep 23 1999 Jakub Jelinek <jakub@xxxxxxxxxx>

- update mke2fs man page so that it reflects changes in mke2fs
  netweem 1.14 and 1.15

* Thu Aug 05 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx>

- fix lsattr on alpha

* Thu Jul 29 1999 Jeff Johnson <jbj@xxxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.15.

* Sun Mar 21 1999 Cristian Gafton <gafton@xxxxxxxxxx>

- auto rebuild in the new build environment (release 4)

* Tue Mar 16 1999 Cristian Gafton <gafton@xxxxxxxxxx>

- fix fsck segfault

* Tue Feb 02 1999 Jeff Johnson <jbj@xxxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.14
- use
  CFLAGS="${CFLAGS:--O2 -g -pipe -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4}" ; export CFLAGS ;
  CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS:--O2 -g -pipe -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4}" ; export CXXFLAGS ;
  FFLAGS="${FFLAGS:--O2 -g -pipe -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4}" ; export FFLAGS ;
  for i in $(find . -name config.guess -o -name config.sub) ; do
           [ -f /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/$(basename $i) ] && /bin/rm -f $i && /bin/cp -fv /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/$(basename $i) $i ;
  done ;
  ./configure --build=i386-redhat-linux --host=i386-redhat-linux \
	--target=i386-redhat-linux-gnu \
	--program-prefix= \
	--prefix=/usr \
	--exec-prefix=/usr \
	--bindir=/usr/bin \
	--sbindir=/usr/sbin \
	--sysconfdir=/etc \
	--datadir=/usr/share \
	--includedir=/usr/include \
	--libdir=/usr/lib \
	--libexecdir=/usr/libexec \
	--localstatedir=/var \
	--sharedstatedir=/usr/com \
	--mandir=/usr/share/man \
	--infodir=/usr/share/info to generate config.sub on arm

* Thu Jan 14 1999 Jeff Johnson <jbj@xxxxxxxxxx>

- fix /usr/bin/compile_et and doco for com_err.h (#673)

* Thu Jan 07 1999 Cristian Gafton <gafton@xxxxxxxxxx>

- build with prefix=/usr
- add arm patch

* Mon Dec 28 1998 Jeff Johnson  <jbj@xxxxxxxxxx>

- update to 1.13.

* Fri Aug 28 1998 Jeff Johnson <jbj@xxxxxxxxxx>

- recompile statically linked binary for 5.2/sparc

* Mon Jul 13 1998 Jeff Johnson <jbj@xxxxxxxxxx>

- upgrade to 1.12.

* Thu May 07 1998 Prospector System <bugs@xxxxxxxxxx>

- translations modified for de, fr, tr

* Thu Apr 30 1998 Cristian Gafton <gafton@xxxxxxxxxx>

- include <asm/types.h> to match kernel types in utils

* Tue Oct 14 1997 Donnie Barnes <djb@xxxxxxxxxx>

- spec file cleanups

* Wed Oct 01 1997 Erik Troan <ewt@xxxxxxxxxx>

- fixed broken llseek() prototype