Re: local host name changing

Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> Here is a dumb question I guess, but I have a host name that I want to
> the localhost to but am not sure of all of the files that need to be
> changed?
>
> I do think that the /etc/hosts shold be changed but are there others as
> well?

Robert's given you some good ideas.

The hostname may have got into other files in /etc (or potentially, in
a hidden file in your home directory). We can't tell what you're running
or how it's configured.

You may want to run a
# cd /etc ; grep -r oldhostname
and maybe a
$ cd ; shopt -s dotglob ; grep -r oldhostname *

(the shopt means that the * matches hidden files and folders as well).

Under certain circumstances, you may want to leave the old hostname as
an alias to the new one in /etc/hosts.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Remember, half-measures can be very effective if
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | all you deal with are half-wits.