Re: FC1 to FC2 HowTo?

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 08:10, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Hans Müller wrote:
>
> >> But if you make a new installation and the kernel that comes with it
> >> does not work you are "up the creek".
> >>
> > but this is not a real problem. You can boot a rescue cd form the old
> > one and install the old kernel. and then have a second try.
>
> True.
> But that is much more complicated,
> and in any case is tantamount to upgrading, in my view.
>
> Surely it is far easier - particularly for a newbie -
> to upgrade, and then if everything works and you want to do that,
> make a fresh installation.
>
> Personally, if I install a new system
> I want to see it working as soon as possible,
> I don't really care how.
> Once it is working I don't mind playing with it.
> I'm pretty sure that is how most people feel.

I agree that I want to see it working soon.

However, and I am sure many agree, I want it to work right. Doing an
upgrade  when there are known problems with using that path is
tantamount to saying "I want problems".

I usually watch the list to see how others have fared with the different
methods, and then go with the path that is easiest and most certain of
minimal problems.  I tend to go with the path that has a historical
record of easy and least problems.  For the FC1 to FC2 upgrade that
meant a clean install for me.