Re: Installing FC2 on second HDD

Michael Bendorf wrote:
> I have successfully downloaded and MD5SUM checked all
> the FC2 CD .iso's. I want to instll FC2 on my second
> HDD and have a dual boot option as to keep my stable
> and *familiar* RH 8.0. Is there a procedure to install
> FC2 on the second HDD without actually burning the
> iso's? I know I can mount the images from my main HDD
> where I downloaded them to (/Fedora/FC2*.iso), but can
> I do anything with them from there?
> Thanks for the advise.

You are aware that RH 8.0 is out of support from fedoralegacy? Please
don't connect that to the Internet.

Do you know how to use loopback mounting to mount the ISO images? I'm
not sure whether
mount FC2-i386-disc1.iso /misc -o loop
worked on RH8.0: you might need to use losetup.

If you mount the ISO, then in the images subdirectory there is a 4 MB
boot.iso that can be burned to a CD, or a diskboot.img that can be
written to something like a USB pendrive. There's also a README file
that explains all this.

When you boot from either of these, you will be prompted for the
location of the install files. Tell the install program "local hard
disk", and the path to the directory containing the ISOs.

Helpful hint: there isn't a browse window or filename completion. You'll
want to make the path easy to remember and type!

HTH,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Power corrupts, PowerPoint corrupts absolutely.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |     -- Vint Cerf