Re: Failed RH9 to FC2 upgrade

John Rowan wrote:

I have a beautifully working dual boot RH 9 / Windows Millenium Edition with GRUB managing which booted. Having installed FC2 on a Compaq Proliant 6500 with new hard drives I figured I'd try upgrading my Dell Dimensions 866 from RH 9 / WindowsMe to FC2/WindowsMe. I booted from disc 1 which passed checks and MD5SUM on the ISO images. It reported that the partition geometry was set incorrectly by another program but I could ignore and fix later. 30 minutes into the install the machine rebooted back to the initial welcome / check CD prior to install. I started the install again, opting this time to format the partion as there was nothing on the Linux side I needed (a test machine). The install proceeded on through asking for disc 2 then 3. Ten minutes into disc 3 the machine rebooted leaving me without a boot loader. I tried installing again choosing to upgrade the FC2 install. It asked for disc 3, then said nothing was changed and the boot loader would not be upgraded. I rebooted and just a grub> prompt. It's too late to start a multi CD install now. I don't want to loose the Me partition as it has my Novell client, Arcserve and lots of other stuff I need. I guess I'll have to reinstall RH 9?

Take a look at fedorafaq.org, near the end of the page, the part about acpi and apm. Edit the kernel options and see if the install goes any better.

---
John