Invalid Module Format - how to fix

I'm trying to build the wacom drivers for my TC1100 and ran into problems. I did read the instructions from the Linux Wacom project but the problems are not specific to the wacom drivers - everything seems wrong!

1. I'm running FC2 with the pre-built kernel 2.6.5-1.358
2. I downloaded the full kernel source from www.kernel.org
3. I copied the /boot config file to the kernel source
4. When I compiled the drivers in the kernel source tree, I did get warnings about deprecated usage (but didn't note them.)
5. After the drivers were built I noticed that all of them - not just the wacom drivers - were much larger than the originals
6. When I tried to install the wacom driver I got an "Invalid Module Format" error.

I did notice that the pre-built kernel was compiled with gcc-3.3.3 but the version on my system is gcc-3.4.0 which may be the cause of the errors. Is this the likely cause or is there something else - something I missed in either the driver configure or the kernel config? Is there a quick and easy fix (I've been at this for several days now)? Is there a simple way to rebuild using gcc-3.3.3 without creating any problems? Or should I just give and build a new kernel? Any tips would be appreciated.