Re: Problem with WG511 installation

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 11:20 -0400, Gerry Rucker wrote:
> I am able to successfully follow all of Allen Winter's detailed post on this issue
> (http://mysite.verizon.net/winterz/doc/prism54_fc2.txt) up to the point of "Try it".
> I plug in the card and do the <ifconfig eth1 up> and nothing. No lights come on. Then
> I do the command <iwlist eth1 scanning> and I get "Failed to read scan data :
> Input/output error".

Is the prism54 module loaded?  What is the output of <dmesg | grep
eth1>? What is the output of <iwconfig>?

> Does anyone have any idea where to go from here? I am totally lost at this point.
> Thank you,
>
> Gerry

Are you using FC2?  I remember having to manually start my WG511 on
every boot prior to installing FC2.  I also vaguely remember ifup
causing problems at some point with the FC2 test releases.  In any case,
my WG511 starts perfectly every time with the released FC2 with no
additional tweaking that I can recall.  The script/steps I used before
FC2 stabilized were:

boot to runlevel 1
modprobe yenta_socket
#modprobe ds #not needed as of 2.6.2-1.96
sleep 2
#use appropriate wireless network name below
iwconfig eth0 essid NETGEAR
sleep 2
#ifup eth0 resets essid, use ifconfig ... up instead
ifconfig eth0 up
sleep 2
dhclient eth0
switch to runlevel 3/5