Re: software RAID-0 recommendations

On Sep  8, 2004, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But for _most_ people at home, I think RAID 1 (mirroring) is the way to go.

For most people at home, RAID is not an option, because it takes more
than one disk to do RAID (in a meaningful way :-) :-)

RAID 1 trades a lot of space for some speed and peace of mind.  I
definitely like it, and use it on most boxes (although I'm looking
into switching to LVM-based mirroring).  But for your home multi-media
backup collection, it's hard to beat raid5 (or, more recently, raid6),
if you actually care about not having to rip everything again when a
disk dies, and you can't afford twice the needed storage.

I guess nowadays, with relatively inexpensive 200+ GB disks, this is
no longer so much of an issue...