Re: software RAID-0 recommendations

Am Mittwoch, den 08.09.2004, 17:03 +0100 schrieb Douglas Furlong:
> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 13:40, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 12:15:43PM +0100, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> > > If you create the RAID 0 in striped mode then the read/write speed for
> > > large files is substantially increased. I believe, in the region of 70%
> > > -> 80%. However I can't remember exactly off the top of my head.
> >
> > Even then, that's a best-case test -- not reflective of something most users
> > actually do often.
> >
> Surly if the user is doing large video editing, or sound editing they
> churn through a lot of data off of the hard disk.

Sound editing -- maybe, but I think modern disk are fast enough these
days for these things

Video editing is also debatable IMO -- I think in a lot of cases it's
faster if you read the source from one disk and write the video to
another. If you do things like this on an RAID 0 you get higher transfer
rates, but the hdd-heads of both drivers often need to reposition
between source and target... So the seek times eat your higher transfer
rates here.
--
Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>